At Rose Street Primary School we believe that art provides opportunities for a child to develop an aesthetic and creative response to life. It provides visual, tactile and sensory experiences and enables children to communicate what they see, feel and think through the use of line, pattern, texture, colour, tone, form and shape. Art is valued as a subject in its own right in addition to supporting other curriculum areas. All children will be able to develop their creative, imaginative and practical skills so that they will be able to communicate their observations and feelings in an individual way through a variety of media.
Aims and objectives
- To make art and design an enjoyable experience, by giving children the opportunity to undertake a balanced programme of art/craft/design activities which clearly build on previous work and take account of previous achievements
- To be given opportunities to work individually, in groups and as a whole class; in two and three dimensions, and a variety of scales
- To develop imagination and careful observation by looking closely at the world around us
- To develop skills – intellectual and technical, associated with investigating and making, including the appropriate use of I.C.T
- To develop children’s ability to articulate and communicate ideas, opinions and feelings about their own work and that of others
To develop children’s ability to respond thoughtfully and critically to ideas, images and objects of many kinds and from many cultures